Friday, April 27, 2012

Original Poem: The Kuleshov Effect

Recently, Josh did a stop motion video of me writing out one of my poems called "The Kuleshov Effect." Stop motion is done by taking consecutive photos and then playing them back at 24 frames/sec. It gives the film a choppy look, and with the antique effect Josh used, this really looks like an antique film (well, except for the two cars in my driveway). I hope you love it as much as I do!

 


The Kuleshov Effect
Rachel Marie Talan
Shelved books gather dust like old,
forgotten trophies. Sunlight streams through 
the open window,
a spotlight.
Cut.
The author spins phrases on his typewriter
while the sun strikes his back with 
warmth, with pain. 
Cut.
There’s a dandelion on the lawn. A 
lone survivor. All his friends, killed on
behalf of beauty’s war. 
Cut.
She sits at the bar and takes her
first drink in fifteen years.
Cut.
A penny is stranded, tail-side-up, in the gutter.
Cut.
A cigar still burns in an ashtray,
smoke dancing up and away from its
abandoned form.
Cut. 
The metronome ticks atop the musicless piano. 
Cut.

4 comments:

  1. Now THAT was cool! You guys did a good job :) I really enjoyed the video and the poem, both very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! really really amazing and a lot of work! Mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I loved it\m/Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. this has got to be the coolest thing i've seen in a long time. it's so amazing how you two combined your creativity into one amazing project.
    LOVE this!!!!

    xo
    kym
    bitty.and.bunny

    ReplyDelete

I do my best to respond to all comments, but I'm pretty scatterbrained. So if I skip over you, it's most surely unintentional.
Thank you for your sweet words!
<3