Saturday, December 10, 2011

We Talked of Getting an Inflatable Driver

"The Drive Home"
by W.S. Merwin

I was always afraid
of the time when I would arrive home
and be met by a special car
but this wasn't like that
they were so nice the young couple
and I was relieved not to be driving
so I could see the autumn leaves on the farms

I sat in the front to see better
they sat in the back 
having a good time
and they laughed with their collars up
they said we could take turns driving
but when I looked
none of us was driving

then we all laughed
we wondered if anyone would notice
we talked of getting an inflatable
driver
to drive us for nothing through the autumn leaves

________________________________________________________________

Mission complete.

I wouldn't be opposed to congratulations.

1 comment:

  1. congratulations on completing the mission. "we talked of getting an inflatable
    driver / to drive us for nothing through the autumn leaves" such a memorable line, to take in the little things in life.

    ReplyDelete

I do my best to respond to all comments, but I'm pretty scatterbrained. So if I skip over you, it's most surely unintentional.
Thank you for your sweet words!
<3